As early as 1788, Methodists were organizing in the South Branch Valley, using itinerate preachers mainly from Harrisonburg, VA. Peter Cartwright was one of the first preachers to serve the South Branch Valley area.
Early on, Methodists in Old Fields, WV, sought to establish a permanent meeting house for the region. In 1812, the Fort Pleasant Meeting House was built on land donated by Isaac and Elizabeth VanMeter and still stands today as the Old Fields Church. The first reverend to serve this location as both minister and schoolmaster was Rev. John Jacobs. For more than 100 years, this meeting house was alternatively by Presbyterians and Methodists alike.
During this period, three Methodist revivals occurred in Hardy County, in 1866, 1876, and 1879. Land donated by George Harness, Jr, in 1801, was dedicated as a Union Church. Later, a graveyard was added at this location. However, both the church and graveyard fell into disuse by 1876. Using subscriptions and donated land, from the VanMeters, the Methodist Episcopal Church, North was built.
In 1869, The Baltimore Conference made Moorefield a separate district from Rockingham County. By 1915, under the direction of Rev. TE Carson, attendance in the congregation and Sunday School outstripped the capacity of the structure located at North. Recognizing the need for a new facility, congregants and notable leaders such as Rev. Walter W White, Rev. RB Clagget, Rev. CW Funk, and Rev. Raymond Musser helped to finance the cost of a $50,000 new building.
The Duffy Memorial Methodist Church that stands today on the corner of Elm Street and Winchester Avenue, was dedicated in July 1923.