Ashland Company Store
The Ashland Company Store is located in the unincorporated town of Ashland, West Virginia. The former company store was a gathering place for the community and sold food, clothing, and other goods to miners and their families. The Ashland Company Store is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Backstory and Context
The town of Ashland was named after the Ashland Coal Company in Ashland, Pennsylvania. This town had an inn, two schools, two churches, company store, warehouse, and post office. Miners working for the coal company lived in company-owned housing and were paid in scrip.
The original company store was located across the street and served as a social hall and inn. In 1943, the company store caught fire and the present building was converted from a warehouse into a company store.2 It housed the paymaster's office, post office, company offices, and store. Company stores carried everything coal miners and their families could need or want: food, clothing, fabric, toys, weapons, and tools. They would pay for their purchases with scrip. The Ashland Company Store was also a gathering place for residents of Ashland.
2 "Ashland Company Store." National Coal Heritage Area, http://www.coalheritage.org/page.aspx?id=45, Accessed 1 August 2017.