With its slogan We Test Anything, Twining Laboratories became a leader in scientific investigations. The laboratory was involved in vaccine testing for cattle, sobriety testing, and food and drug testing. Following Twining's death in 1945, his son, Frederick W. Twining, himself a respected chemist, assumed leadership of the company.
The building was designed by Charles E. Butner, a well-known architect in the area. Butner designed the building with Mediterranean elements. The style was relatively common during the Depression era for schools and residences, but less common for businesses. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.