Kit Carson Elementary School
When residents began moving into the Linda Vista development in 1941 there were no school buildings and no funding had yet been provided for their construction. With operational support from the federal government, the San Diego School District provided teachers and opened Kit Carson Elementary School in September 1941, conducting classes in unoccupied project homes on Coolidge St.
Backstory and Context
The school building opened for the Fall 1942 school year. There wasn’t funding for landscaping or playgrounds until the following year and school grounds were considered hazardous.
Carson is one of only a few two-story elementary schools in San Diego. Two concrete bas-relief panels adorn the front of the school on Kramer Street above the entrance and on the auditorium. They were created in 1942 by major San Diego sculptor Donal Hord and are listed on the San Diego Historical Society register.
A Los Angeles area “Linda Vista Hospital” is the source of folklore that Carson Elementary was previously a hospital and is now haunted, neither of which are at all true.