This Catholic congregation first met in a local home, then in the Housing Administration Building until its church was built at the corner of this large site in 1943. The 1943 building is now the Ave Maria Social Hall.
The Modern sanctuary added to the site was designed by architect Joseph F. Dameron and completed in 1971. Dameron designed many churches in San Diego County including St. James & St. Leo, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Immaculate Heart of Mary, and Tierrasanta Lutheran Church.