First United Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church was founded in 1872 and became the "Mother Church" form many Birmingham-area congregations. The original congregation utilized rented space before building their first home-a modest frame building that served as the church's home until a brick structure was built in 1883. As the congregation continued to grow, the church leaders worked to raise funds that allowed for the completion of this building and sanctuary in 1891. Among the many intriguing features of the interior is a marble baptismal font made by Tiffany and Company. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
This historic downtown church features the American Romanesque Revival architectural style
Church Interior looking towards Chancel and Facade. Postcard ca. 1908, courtesy of William Dunklin
Backstory and Context
The building was expanded to include a separate administration building in 1921. The building was again expanded in 1950 and once again in 1964 when the congregation celebrated the addition of a new building for Sunday School and other educational activities. The Sanctuary underwent a major renovation in 1972, which included cutting a new entrance into the rear of the original Sanctuary building. In 2014, the Sanctuary underwent a second major renovation that restored the interior to its original 1891 coloring and detail.
"History." First United Methodist Church. February 7, 2016. http://www.firstchurchbhm.com/history.html