Star Lodge #1 / Old Stone House
The Star Lodge #1 / Old Stone House is one of the oldest buildings in Charles Town, being constructed during the in 1790s by John Locke. Purchased in 1927 by the Star Lodge Number 1, Queen of the Valley Lodge Number 1558, the Old Stone House became one of the oldest African American Freemason Lodges in the country. The Star Lodge Number 1 was eventually purchased by two African American organizations and is currently used for Charles Town's African-American Culture and Heritage Festival.
Backstory and Context
The property which housed Charles Town's Prince Hall is is also known as the Old Stone House and the Locke House. Since its' construction in 1795 by John Locke, the house has served as a place of entertainment, a home, and a print shop. The building was sold in 1927 to the Star Lodge Number 1, Queen of the Valley Lodge Number 1558. Today, it is used for the African-American Culture and Heritage Festival, to remind locals on the history the city holds.