La Iglesia de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles (The Church of Our Lady Queen of the Angels)
A shot of the church from the outside.
A service in the church.
Backstory and Context
Founded on August 18, 1814 under Franciscan Fray Luis Gil y Taboada, La Iglesia de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles (The Church of Our Lady Queen of the Angels), didn't have a church building until 1784. Their second church building was constructed in 1822 to serve the new settlement of Los Angeles Pobladores
The chapel named La Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles was constructed using the materials left over from the original church building. Over the years the small chapel, which collected the nicknames "La Placita" and "Plaza Church, was the only Roman Catholic church in the emerging area of Los Angeles.
The church has been operated by the Claretian Missionary Fathers since 1908 and was designated as a cultural landmark in 1962. Today the church is part of the Diocese of Los Angeles and serves as a neighborhood parish church.
La Placita. Accessed July 09, 2017. http://laplacita.org/.
Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles Our Lady Queen of Angels. HMDB. Accessed July 09, 2017. https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=50935.