This three story, cut stone structure is the oldest and longest - with a 75 foot front - of the three remaining buildings that make up Thurmond's Commercial Row. The historic store fronts are framed with a cast iron columnn and beam system, with a tulip motif decorating the columnn capitals.
Constructed in 1901, the building housed at various times the Standard Dry Goods Company, the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Exchange Company, the offices of Dr. C. F. Ridge, and a Greek restaurant. The building’s two upper levels have also been used as apartments.
The southern portion of the structure has caved in and only the exterior walls remain. The northern portion, accessible by a side stairway in the adjacent National Bank of Thurmond,
was rehabilitated prior to the writing of the National Register file in 1984. The property is now under the stewardship of the National Park Service, and houses an interpretive display on the history of Thurmond.