The 1906 earthquake transformed Berkeley. It sent newly homeless San Franciscans fleeing into the city, and many of them were Italian immigrants like Marengo. In 1907, Marengo opened the West Berkeley Macaroni Factory in a lot behind his residence. An advertisement at the time claimed that the factory has produced pasta for 19 years, but there is no evidence that Marengo had ever produced pasta prior to 1907.
Though Marengo retained ownership of the building until his death, his role in the business of producing pasta was short-lived. Marengo's partners and associates oversaw the day-to-day operations of the factory, with Marengo serving solely as landlord.
He was still involved in business, however, as well as the life of the community. He owned various properties in Redding, including the Palm Hotel, and continued to rent homes in Berkeley. Known in the city as a sharp-dressing bon vivant, Marengo was considered by some to be the unofficial mayor of West Berkeley.
The building was sold in 1948 following Marengo's death. It was named a City of Berkeley Landmark in 1991.