Buffalo Gap Historic Village
Established in 1956 by Ernest Wilson, Buffalo Gap Historic Village is an outdoor museum featuring numerous historical buildings dating from the late 1800s to the early 1900s, including the Old Taylor County Courthouse and Jail building (constructed in 1879) which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Many of the other structures were brought here from other parts of the state, including a Texaco gas station, log cabin, barbershop, blacksmith shop, and railroad depot. Visitors will learn about what life was like during the last fifty years of Texas frontier through static displays, a variety of programs, and from staff dressed in period clothing. The village is operated by the Texas Frontier Heritage & Cultural Center, a subsidiary of the McWhiney History Education Group.
Backstory and Context
Photo: Renelibrary, via Wikimedia Commons