John P. Cullen`s contracting business established in 1892 was important for the local Janesville and Wisconsin state-line area. J. P. Cullen & Son would later become a family business in 1919. The business became well known during World War II, as they constructed military buildings throughout Wisconsin. The company still exists as a family owned business today.
The Cullen House was supposedly built in 1902 and has features that align it with the Colonial Revival Style. This design was popular for a very long time, starting in 1855 and going to around the 1950s. They are often two stories with a symmetrical facade and multi-paned windows.