Berkeley Day Nursery
The Berkeley Day School was founded 1908 as a groundbreaking day care for the children of working class women. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a City of Berkeley Landmark.
Backstory and Context
The building was originally located on Tenth Street, but soon outgrew that location and a new facility was built on Sixth Street. The new building, which was designed by Walter H. Ratliff, was crafted to resemble an English cottage. Ratliff designed the building for the nursery at no cost.
The Berkeley Day Nursery continued operation until 1965 when increasingly strict state requirements led to its closure. The building is listed as a City of Berkeley Landmark and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Since the 1980s, the building has functioned as a community health clinic.