The Plymouth Cordage Company is dedicated to the industrialized rope-making history of the Town of Plymouth. Bourne Spooner established the company in 1824. It quickly became the world’s largest manufacturer of rope and twine. The company operated in its waterfront factory until it closed and was sold to the Columbian Rope Company in the mid-1960s. Today, it is maintained as a museum by the Plymouth Cordage Historical Society.
Mr. Bourne Spooner was born into
a wealthy, reputable family in Plymouth, Massachusetts. He left the town as a young man and headed to
the City of New Orleans. There, he
learned the ropemaking trade. Soon
after, he returned from New Orleans and opened the Plymouth Cordage Company in
1824 on the waterfront. He built his factory on the site of an abandoned grist
mill about two miles from where Plymouth Rock sits today. Spooner’s plant
specialized in crafting the ship-rigging used on many of the boats anchored in
the Plymouth Harbor, among others. It
was even chosen to make the rope used to update the rigging on the USS
Constitution at the beginning of the twentieth century. By the end of the
nineteenth century, his company had grown to be the largest rope and
twine-making factory in the world.
The Plymouth Cordage Company was
also the town’s largest employer for over a century. The company’s management recruited workers
from all over the world by offering to pay their fares across the ocean as well
as to set them up with housing. The
first worker under this plan arrived from Ireland in 1830. He was followed by other men and women from
Europe, including German, Italian, Portuguese and more Irish workers. In 1899, the company started an “Industrial
Welfare” plan. This was a program
through which they intended to provide housing to their workers, as well as
full health benefits and educational programs for children (i.e.
kindergarten). The company also provided
educational programs to the workers, since their base was made up mostly of
immigrants due to their recruiting programs.
However, the company also established the Loring Reading Room, which was
a space for the workers to read books written in their native languages and to
continue their family’s traditions in peace.
The program’s intention was to keep their workers happy, for management
believed that happy workers were more productive and they would stay with the
company for longer periods. Of course, no
factory at this time was immune from striking workers. Labor strikes still occurred at the Plymouth
Cordage Company in 1831-1832 and then again in 1916. The 1916 strike was held because workers felt
that their wages were not keeping up with the increased costs of goods brought
on by the war in Europe.
In 1964, the Plymouth Cordage Company
went out of business due to a hostile takeover by the Emhart Corporation. The
company had paid cash for all of its production material and had no debt
whatsoever. The factory was sold to the
Columbia Rope Company in 1965. In 1980, the Plymouth Cordage Historical Society
renovated a portion of the factory and turned it into a small museum filled
with various archives and artifacts from the factory and its workers. The Museum can be accessed through the tower
entrance. Much of the remaining space in the factory has been converted into
offices, retail, and restaurants.