Nassau Hall is the oldest and most historic building on Princeton's campus. A National Historic Landmark, it was built in 1756 and designed by Robert Smith, a prominent architect who specialized in the Georgian style. The hall played a prominent role during the Revolutionary War, suffering from occupation of both American and British forces, and at the Battle of Princeton on January 3, 1777, when the Americans attacked the British soldiers inside. Furthermore, it became the country's capitol when the Continental Congress met here from June to November 1783. During this time, the Congress learned that the British accepted the terms of the peace treaty to end war and subsequently accepted George Washington's resignation as commander of the Continental Army. Nassau Hall today houses administrative offices, including that of the university's president.
Backstory and Context
"Nassau Hall." Princetoniana. Accessed June 14, 2017. https://princetoniana.princeton.edu/campus/nassau-hall.
Photo: Smallbones, via Wikimedia Commons