Originally built in 1734, the Buccleuch Mansion (pronounced "bugle-low") is one of Brunswick's most historic and oldest landmarks. Its builder was Anthony White, the son-in-law of Lewis Morris, the governor of the New Jersey colony at the time. White married Morris' daughter, Elizabeth. The mansion features different architectural styles (different owners made changes and additions over the years) including Colonial Federal, Italianate, and Greek Revival. The mansion also features decorative arts, furnishings, textiles and other items that span its entire history. A highlight is the well-preserved, hand-painted decorative wallpaper created by the Dufour of Macon company in Paris. The local chapter of the Daughters of the Revolution operates the house and offer tours on Sundays in the afternoon. The mansion was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Backstory and Context
Several owners lived in the house during its history. One of them, Colonel Joseph Warren Scott who bought it in 1821, gave the mansion its current name. The last owner sold the property and mansion to the city in 1911. The old home, which opened to the public in 1915, has also been called "The White House".
Kiss, Miriam. "The White House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. April 13, 1977. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/e04491bf-5d77-46e5-8a68-a5e945d054f0.
Photo: Baronplantagenet, via Wikimedia Commons