N side of E German St, directly across the street from Christ Reformed Church. Here in 1795, the Lutherans built a beautiful brick church which served the congregation until 1908, when they constructed a new St. Peter’s on the SW corner of King and High Sts. The old church building burned in 1924. The church graveyard, established in 1774, remains intact but is no longer used. The old German schoolhouse still stands in the graveyard.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Shepherdstown was
officially established in 1765, after the founding of Mecklenburg (today
Shepherdstown). Six men founded the church, one being Martin Endler, the first
in the line of Entlers. The first church was located next to the railroad
tracks, on German Street. Pastors often served many churches in northern
Virginia and southern Maryland because they were in short supply. The first
pastor for the church was Reverend Mr. Bauer in 1766, but he was not a Lutheran
pastor. He was a Christ Reformed Church pastor and also preached for the
The second Lutheran pastor was Carl Wilbahn from
Germany, because the German citizens “were unwilling to join the English
Church” (From the Journals of Henry Melchoir Muhlenberg, vol. 2). During the
Civil War, the town became a hospital after the Battle of Antietam and the
Lutheran Choir sang at the burials of those lost after the Battle. After the
war, the church remodeled to add an addition and a basement. The church
installed a pipe organ shortly after the renovation.