Historical Marker: Electronics Research Laboratory
The marker is located on the corner of Channing and Emerson Streets.
Backstory and Context
In the town of Palo Alto, there was once a notable research and development lab. In 1909, Cyril F. Elwell founded the Federal Telegraph Company at this location. Within a few years, with the assistance of two colleagues, including Dr. Lee Forest, the inventor of the three-element radio vacuum tube, created the world's first vacuum tube amplifier and oscillator. This invention led to the eventual development of radios and televisions.
Sadly, all that remains of this laboratory is a plaque, placed in 1970, that explains the history and importance of the laboratory and it’s work.
Photo: Leticia A. Kohnen, via The Historical Marker Database