1949 Ratcliffe Ford
Backstory and Context
The story of the Ratcliffe implement and automobile dealership involves three locations on the block of 2nd Street between College and F streets.
In 1948, the C.A. Ratcliffe & Son Company split into two separate businesses, the Ratcliffe Ford auto dealership and repair garage and Ratcliffe Implement for farm equipment. The company that had started as a one-man operation under Charles A. Ratcliffe had grown into businesses with a total payroll of over thirty.
In 1949 the Ratcliffe family opened a new auto showroom and office at the corner of 2nd & F streets.
In 1957, Lynn Ratcliffe retired and his son, Bud (F.L. Jr.) took over as president of the implement company. Don Helm and Ron Rehn acquired the business on April 1, 1964. With the retirement of Ron Rehn in 1980, Don Helm welcomed new partners, Dan and Shirley Damon.
In 2001, the dealership, known as Bonanza Ford moved the operation to Four Lakes. The buildings were demolished in 2002 to make way for Brewster Hall.
Ratcliffe Family History