In 1915 a new high school for African Americans, the Virginia Randolph County Training School, was constructed in Randolph's honor. In 1930 a larger brick building replaced the original school after a fire destroyed it. In 1924 a girls' dormitory opened, located on three acres purchased by Randolph next to the school, to provide housing for thirty female students. Randolph also took students into her own home. The 1930 census lists fourteen adopted sons and daughters, ranging in age from eleven to nineteen, living in her household.
In recognition of her success, Randolph received a William E. Harmon Award in 1926. She retired in 1949 and died in 1958. In 1970 the Virginia Randolph School was dedicated as a museum, and in 1974 the Virginia Randolph Cottage became a National Historic Landmark.
Reprinted with permission of the Library of Virginia.