Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission Chapel, San Jose
Constructed in 1953, Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission Chapel is best-known as the location where Cesar Chavez began his effort to organize farm workers. Also known as McDonnell Hall, Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission Chapel is a recent addition to the National Register of Historic Places because of its significance to Cesar Chavez and the labor movement he led. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2016.
Backstory and Context
Chavez and his family moved into the area, known as Sal Si Puedes, or "get out if you can," in 1948. Under the influence of Father McDonnell, Chavez began canvassing the area and encouraging residents to register to vote. In time, as labor organizing and political participation in the neighborhood grew, Chavez and others changed the phrase to "Si se puede," or "yes we can," which became a rallying cry for the migrant workers movement.
The chapel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2016.