Historical Marker: Bernal Adobe Site
At this location on the northernmost area of St. Teresa Park is the Bernal Adobe Site, named after a Spanish soldier named Jose Joaquin Bernal (1762-1837). Bernal was a member of the expedition led by Juan Bautista De Anza, which took place in 1776; Bernal was only 14 years old. To reward his service, he was awarded a land grant of over 9,600 acres in 1826, to which this site was once a part. It is not clear whether remains of the adobe structure still exist but it was located at the center of the plot of land visible from street. This site is also of interest because it is believed that one of the oak trees here was used to tether bears before they fought in bear-bull fights. In terms ancient history, archaeological evidence has revealed that this site was once a cemetery and village of prehistoric Indians, the ancestors of the Ohlone Indians. The remains have been dated to 3,000 years ago.
Photo: Barry Swackhamer, via The Historical Marker Database