The home was built between 1879 and 1880 for Elias Overcarsh, an educator and Methodist minister. The property remained in the Overcarsh family until 1966, when it was sold to C. C. Dees. Overcarsh was highly influential in the religious life of the area, serving as pastor for eight different churches.
In addition to the home's status as one of the oldest in Charlotte's Fourth Ward, the home is also significant for its architecture, which is largely unaltered from its original state. It is one of only a few structures that incorporate a tower.