In 1917 Addison became principal of the new Harrison School, which offered classes only through the eighth grade. High school diplomas were unavailable to Roanoke’s black students, and by gradually introducing new coursework, Addison eventually created a full high-school curriculum. The State Board of Education recognized her efforts in 1924 by accrediting the Harrison School as a secondary school. Addison retired at the end of the 1926–1927 school year. In January 1928 the city school board announced that a new high school for African Americans would be named in her honor. On April 19, 1929, she attended the formal opening of Lucy Addison High School, Roanoke’s first public building named for one of its own citizens.
Nominated by Jenny Woodall-Gainey's sixth-grade class (2009–2010), Lucy Addison Middle School, Roanoke, Va.
Reprinted with permission of the Library of Virginia.