Rosenwald schools were innovative for their time. They required matching grants from their communities, and white school boards were required to maintain the schools. Because many of the Rosenwald schools were built in areas that lacked electricity, the buildings were designed to maximize natural light. Before its depletion in 1948, the Rosenwald fund gave over $70 million for the construction of various educational institutions.
The Billingsville School, located in the historic African-American community of Grier Heights, was built in 1927. The school was one of 26 Rosenwald schools in Mecklenburg County and is still in use as part of Billingsville Elementary. The school underwent a significant restoration in recent years and is on the National Register of Historic Places.