The First Baptist Church was originally formed in Janesville in 1844 with thirteen congregation members. This specific location was used from 1867 to 1974 and was rebuilt once in 1884 due to a fire.
Founded by Rev. Jeremiah Murphy, the First Baptist Church`s original location was at 102 South Cherry Street. That location would later become the home to the Tallman Perfume Company headquarters c.1870. After moving to Jackson Street in 1867, this structure became the permanent site for the church until 1974, when they moved once again to their current location at 3414 Woodhall Street.