This large fountain, almost a block long, was built in 1985 as part of a redesign effort of the Barney Allis Plaza, named after the manager of the former Muehlbach Hotel, which was located across the street; the building is now part of the Marriott Hotel. Allis managed the hotel for three decades beginning in 1931. Despite his short stature of 5 foot 3 inches, Allis had a tremendous presence and ran the hotel with an iron fist. He was a perfectionist and demanded the best from hotel employees. His leadership bolstered the hotel's reputation which compelled a number of celebrities, including the Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope, and future President Harry Truman, to choose to stay there. The fountain is on the north end of the plaza and features 112 water jets. The plaza was first created in 1956.