St. Elmo Historic District
The St. Elmo Historic District, or St. Elmo for short, is a neighborhood in the city of Chattanooga, Tennessee. It is situated in the southernmost part of Hamilton County within the valley of Lookout Mountain below the part of the Tennessee River known as Moccasin Bend. St Elmo is at the crossroads of two ancient Indian trails, and was first occupied by Native American hunters and gatherers in the Woodland period, then agricultural Mississippians, including Euchee and Muscogee, and for a brief period between 1776 and 1786, the Cherokees in a community called Lookout Town. St. Elmo became part of the city of Chattanooga when it was annexed in September 1929.
St. Elmo Ave.
Backstory and Context
Hundreds of properties in the neighborhood have been listed on the National Register, and in 1982 St. Elmo was designated a Local Historic District. Many of the buildings from the late 19th century have been preserved. 1http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo_Historic_District_(Chattanooga,_Tennessee)