Market Street Bridge (John Ross Bridge)
The Market Street Bridge, officially referred to as the John Ross Bridge, is a bascule bridge that spans the Tennessee River between downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee, and the Northshore District. It carries North Market Street (formerly designated as U.S. Highway 127), and was named in honor of Cherokee Chief John Ross. The bridge was completed in 1917 at a cost of $1 million. In the mid-1970s, the southern terminus of US-127 was moved several miles north to the intersection of Dayton Boulevard and Signal Mountain Boulevard in the nearby suburb of Red Bank.
Backstory and Context