The First Presbyterian Church was founded in 1840, making it the first Christian Organization in Chattanooga. The congregation first met in a log cabin, though quickly outgrew the accommodations and built a dedicated church in 1845. During the Civil War, the church was used as military hospital. This usage ruined the vast majority of the building and a new building was constructed soon after. The building was opened in 1910 and services are still held at this historic location.