As the year went on the family grew and the Edison's would sell the house in the year of 1854. For the next forty years the house was not under the ownership of any member of the Edison family. It wasn't until the year of 1894 the Edison's would regain ownership of the home. Edison's sister, Marion Edison Page, bought the house and added in new additions including extra rooms, a bathroom, and new appliances. Marion would later give the home to her brother Thomas in the year 1906. Thomas would occasionally continue to visit the home until his death in 1931.
After his death, his wife decided it was in the best interest to open up the historic home to the public. She wanted to persevere it as a memorial for people to remember the great inventor. In 1947, on Edison's birthday the museum and home were opened to the public.The rooms of the home contain furniture from the original home and artifacts of Edison. The house has been restored, and the museum members are many of Thomas Edison's direct family members. The museum is run by a non-profit organization and was added to the list of national historic places in 1966.