Situated on the grounds of the Mount Hope Cemetery is a memorial to one of the country's most beloved presidents, Abraham Lincoln. It consists of a statue of him seated on a large chair (it appears to be a replica of the statue at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C.) and a short marker with a plaque with the words of the Gettysburg Address on it and a stone from the Gettysburg battlefield that was given to the cemetery in 1959.
The cemetery was founded by Albe and Kate Whiting in 1906, who arrived in Topeka in 1877 and established the A.B. Whiting Paint and Glass Company. Kate unfortunately died in 1907 but Albe continued to manage and expand the cemetery for the rest of his life.