This historical marker indicates the location of the state's first capitol building, constructed between 1857-1858. It wasn't built purposely to house the state capitol offices; these were established in the building in 1861. The building was called the Ritchie Block. Just a few years later, the current capitol building was constructed. Fidelity Bank has been located here since 1922. The present structure was built in 1967.