Built by Marquette University in 1966, McCormick Hall is home to over 700 first year students. The distinct architectural style has made McCormick Hall an icon of the university's campus for some 50 years. The building is named after Marquette University Law School alumnus Victor McCormick. In 2016 it was announced that the university plans to demolish the dorm around 2018.
Backstory and Context
In 1964 Marquette University began a series of initiatives intending to vastly increase student housing on campus. The three part project included a two-story addition to Schroeder Hall, the purchase and subsequent renovation of Cobeen Hall, and the acquisition of an L-shaped piece of land near the corner of Sixteenth Street and Wisconsin Avenue. The plan for this new property was to develop a twelve-story, all-boys dormitory. However, the L-shaped land was not sufficient for the planned dorm, thus the university had to purchase and demolish the adjacent Louisiana Apartments. Construction of the new dormitory, then known as Dormitory #1 began in 1966. By the time the first six floors of the building were complete, and students began moving in. At the same time the university received a gift of $2.5 million from alumnus Victor McCormick. Upon completion of the final six floors, the university renamed the dorm McCormick Hall, and the dedication of the building took place on March 3rd, 1968.
Victor McCormick graduated from Marquette University’s Law School in 1922. Following graduation, McCormick began his career as a successful lawyer based in Green Bay. In addition, McCormick made a fortune from investments in the Procter & Gamble Corporation. A long-time patron of education, in addition to his $2.5 million gift to Marquette, McCormick also donated over $1 million to St. Norbert College in De Pere, Wisconsin. In 1969, Marquette President Father O’Donnell named McCormick to the university’s Board of Trustees. McCormick served on the board until a debilitating heart attack forced him to retire in 1976.