SE corner of Church and High Sts. The “Old English Church” began as a log cabin in 1745. A stone structure called the Mecklenburg Chapel replaced the original building in 1769. Though it has gone through several renovations, the basic structure of 1769 still remains. It is among the earliest surviving church buildings west of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Trinity Episcopal Church
was the first English Church (Anglican) in Shepherdstown, predating the
incorporation of the town. The first church building was built in 1745 as a
part of the Fredrick Parish in Winchester, Virginia. The building was a wooden
structure, known as the “Old English Church.”
Another more permanent structure was built out of stone on the corner of High
Street and Church Street in 1769. The building was known as “Mecklenburg Chapel,”
“the building fell into disrepair because of neglect due to the
disestablishment of the Anglican Church in Virginia. In 1815, the church
building was renovated by the first vestry of the newly Saint Andrews Parish.
In 1840 – 1842, the building was expanded, By the early 1800s it was known as
Trinity Church. In 1854, the church
decided to build a new building on German Street because the 1842 renovations
were now too small.
 Harrah, Dianne. Houses of Worship. Wolf Run Studios. Accessed July 08, 2017. http://www.wolfrunstudio.com/PAGES/pg_hwp20.html.
 Our History. Trinity Episcopal Church. Accessed July 08, 2017. http://www.trinityshepherdstown.org/our-history/.