The Cavalla was decommissioned in 1946 and placed in the Naval Reserve until April 1951. She was then recommissioned for a brief year before her commission was taken from her once again. After a year of work she was recommissioned once again, but not as a Gato-class, but instead as a new Hunter-Killer class. She proudly remained in service patrolling the dark ocean depths until December 1969 when the Navy officially decommissioned her for the final time.
After her decommissioning she stayed in Naval care for two years before all the arrangements where made to make her into a museum ship. She was crewed one final time and taken to Galveston. The Texas Submarine Veterans of WWII organization proudly took her into their care and placed in the Seawolf park as a memorial to the lost sub the USS Seawolf. Sadly the veteran's organization lacked the funding and physical capability to take care of her. She slowly became more and more neglected over time. Fortunately throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s the submarine started to receive more funds and attention and has finally started to look in proper fighting state.