Gonzales Confederate Monument
The Gonzales Confederate Monument was unveiled on April 10, 1910 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. This Confederate Civil War memorial is located in the center of Confederate Square in Gonzales, Texas with a lone Confederate soldier holding his rifle. This monument was built to honor the fallen Confederate soldiers of the Civil War during the years of 1861-1865. This structure cost the women of the United Daughters of the Confederacy $3200 in 1909 which is roughly $77,000 with today’s currency. To go along with this forty-eight foot monument, a sundial was added to the memorial in June of 1937 in honor of the Woman of the Confederacy.
Backstory and Context
In what was the bloodiest war in United States history, many brothers, sons, and fathers died, causing heartache in communities like Gonzales, Texas. In 1905, Mrs. B.B. Hoskins, Sr. was elected to lead her town’s chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and decided that they would pay their respects to the fallen Confederate soldiers of their community by collecting money for a war memorial. After many community socials, donations, and fund raisers, the United Daughters of the Confederacy raised $3,200, which is equivalent to $77,000 today. This forty-eight foot structure is made of gray granite and Carrara marble. On top of the forty foot pillar, there is twelve foot Confederate soldier facing toward the north.
During the construction of the cornerstone, the UDC of Gonzales decided they would leave in it a metal box with a copy of the Gonzales Inquirer, a copy of the Confederate Veterans’ Association roster, a Confederate soldiers of Gonzales County roster, a roster of the UDC Gonzales Chapter #545, Confederate bills, coins of 1909, a roster of the Gonzales Fire Dept., and a sketch of the monument as it would appear when completed. Texas alone lost twenty-eight Confederate officers and one thousand, three hundred twenty enlisted soldiers.
With many of these soldiers coming from communities like Gonzales, the women of the United Daughters of Confederacy decided to have "OUR CONFEDERATE DEAD 1861-1865" engraved on the north facing side and "LEST WE FORGET" on the southern side of the monument. On April 10, 1910, sculptor Frank Teich, who designed and created the monument, along with the United Daughters of the Confederacy Chapter #545 unveiled the Gonzales Confederate Monument to the public with close to forty-five hundred people in attendance. The final addition to the monument was made on June 3, 1937 when Confederate infantry Captain H.K. Jones donated a sundial and dedicated it to “to the Women of the Confederacy.”
Gonzales Confederate Monument. Waymarking.com. February 19, 2013. http://www.gonzalesinquirer.com/news/Confederate-monument-rededicated-turns/article_5cfafc77-3e32-5246-8e61-85a18d437833.html.
Allen, Joshua R.. Civil War Casualties. The Civil War. http://www.nellaware.com/blog/civil-war-casualties.html.