Gold Star Families Memorial Monument
Gold Star Families Memorial Monument "A tribute to Gold Star mothers, fathers, and relatives who sacrificed a loved one for our freedom"
"Homeland, Family, Patriot, Sacrifice"
Gold Star Families Memorial located in Barboursville Park
Gold Star Families Memorial is next to Lake William in Barboursville Park
Section of the monument cut out in the shape of a soldier
Backstory and Context
Gold Star Families monuments are made out of black granite with a section of the stone cut out in the shape of a soldier saluting. The standard lettering on one side of Gold Star Families monuments reads: "A tribute to mothers and fathers who sacrificed a loved one for our freedom." The other side of the monument reads: "Homeland, Family, Patriot, Sacrifice." Above the four words are four panels that picture scenes that vary according to the location in which they are built. The Gold Star Families monument located in the city of Barboursville's park was completed on October 14, 2016 and is the third monument of its kind to be erected in West Virginia. The panel labeled "Homeland" on Barboursville's Gold Star Families monument features pictures of Marshall Univeristy, a covered bridge, and a log cabin. The two middle panels labeled "Family" and "Patriot" feature a church and a scene of soldiers raising an American flag on a battlefield. The far-right panel labeled "sacrifice" features the memorial arch located in Ritter Park in Huntington, West Virginia, along with a picture of Hershel "Woody" Williams and two men shaking hands.
- Photos taken by Felicia Ramirez
- Gans, Felicia. "Fall River to Dedicate Gold Star Families Memorial." Boston Globe, 2016.
- Pa. "Gold Star Family Memorial to be Dedicated Sunday." Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA) 2014.
- "General Dynamics NASSCO Hosts Keel Laying Ceremony for Future USNS Hershel "Woody" Williams." PR Newswire, 2016.
- Dolan, Michael. "Forged in Flame." Vol. 30. Leesburg: World History Group, LLC, 2016.
- Gunderson, Kalea. "Gold Star Families Monument Unvieldld at Barboursville Park" http://wchstv.com/news/local/gold-star-families-monument-unveiled-at-barboursville-park
- Mendez, Jospehine. "Gold Star Families Honored at Monument Groundbreaking." The Herald Dispatch, 2016.