Green Hill Cemetery Historic District
Green Hill Cemetery was established in 1854, designed by David Hunter Strother a.k.a. Porte Crayon. Based on a conical design, the graveyard wraps around the hill and is capped by a chapel at the top. The historic district is made up of two contributing buildings, one contributing site, and twenty-two contributing objects. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Backstory and Context
The caretaker's lodge was constructed in 1901 in the Shingles Style as a 3 story tall structure with brick and shingle. The iron fence around the cemetery is from the same era. Several other nearby structures make up the historical district, including a school and several houses.
During the Civil War, the district's height made it a good position to set up lookout points, so it saw a great deal of troop movement. The district remains relatively undeveloped to this day. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.