Wilson-Wodrow-Mytinger House Exterior
Wilson-Wodrow-Mytinger House Main Room
Backstory and Context
The Wilson-Wodrow-Mytinger House was built sometime in the late 18th century. The earliest surviving documentation lists Colonel George Wilson as the first owner of the property, who received it as part of a land grant from Lord Thomas Fairfax. Wilson was a veteran of the French and Indian War, serving with the Hampshire County Militia and received praise from George Washington for his bravery. A supporter of the Patriots during the American Revolution, he perished in 1777 during the march to meet with Washington's forces in New Jersey.
After Wilson's death, the house was inherited by his son-in-law, Andrew Wodrow. Another Patriot, he sold off many of his import goods to fund the revolutionaries in Boston. He would go on to become Clerk of Court of Hampshire County from 1782 to 1814. The office he used in that capacity is considered to be the oldest public office in West Virginia. Following his death, the house would pass through several hands over the next 170 years, including the Mytinger family, who would own it for 100 years.
The house is now privately owned, though restored to pristine condition. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
The Wilson-Wodrow-Mytinger House. Historic Hampshire County. http://www.historichampshire.org/nrhp/mytinger/mytinger.htm.
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. National Park Service. http://www.wvculture.org/shpo/nr/pdf/hampshire/77001375.pdf.