Also known as the Lampoon Castle, the structure is distinctive owing to its peculiar mock-Flemish style. It was once described as one of the ugliest buildings in the world1 by Cambridge mayor Alfred Vellucci, who famously proposed an unsuccessful city ordinance to declare the structure a public urinal. Of the Lampoon Building, American academic Barrett Wendell stated it was as sturdily honest as the founder who designed it, yet laughing at every turn with freakish gayety and beauty.2 The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Initially, the Lampoon Building hosted a small store on the ground level, as well as Harvard Lampoon offices and meeting spaces. This structure remains the headquarters of The Harvard Lampoon Club, a social club and the producers of The Harvard Lampoon magazine, an undergraduate humor publication. The Lampoon is the world's second-longest continually published humor magazine. In addition, the organization also publishes numerous parody publications, such as the Lord of the Rings parody entitled Bored of the Rings. Edmund M. Wheelwright was himself a member, as were many notable comedians, including Conan O'Brien, Andy Borowitz, B. J. Novak, Greg Daniels, and Colin Jost.
The end at the intersection of Bow and Mt. Auburn Streets features a cylindrical turret with a wooden door. The larger dormers of the Mt. Auburn side feature the date of construction and 1875, the year the Lampoon Club was founded. A copper ibis sculpture, the symbol of The Harvard Lampoon, is mounted on the turret's dome roof. This 4-foot tall, 70-pound ibis is often stolen as a prank and subsequently returned. On one such occasion, members of the longstanding rival magazine, The Harvard Crimson, stole and gifted the statue to a Russian delegation to the UN; the delegation subsequently returned the statue.