Delaware is known as “The First State” because its General Assembly was the first to ratify the U.S. Constitution. The state’s first capital was in New Castle but moved to Dover during the American Revolution. Today, Delaware’s General Assembly is housed in Legislative Hall located downtown in Capital Square. The building is open to the public and available for guided tours year round.
The building, designed by Architect
E. William Martin, was dedicated in 1933. It is a Georgian Revival colonial
structure of handmade brick. From 1965 to 1970 additions of the North and South
wings took place. These wings were designed by George Fletcher Bennet. This
allowed each legislator to have an office.
Further additions were built in 1994
with wings added to the east side of the building. This section was designed by
The Architect Studio. The interior was fully renovated in the mid 1990s and
featured refurbishment of both chambers, the lobby, cafeteria and many offices.