Brentwood Hills Subdivision
Backstory and Context
Brentwood Hills started during WWII. The first ad for the development appeared on 15 March 1942 in the Spartanburg Journal. Model house tours began in April 1942.
The Spartanburg Journal advertisement on 15 March 1942 described the area as “a beautifully wooded tract of 82 acres, just 2 miles from Morgan Square. Lying one block north of, and parallel to Connecticut Avenue between eh southern Railway (Columbia Division) and Pacolet River” [better known locally as Lawson’s Fork Creek]. The development stretched from “Palmetto Street on the northern boundary to Riverside Street on the Southern boundary” of which the oldest part developed is the Canterbury/Westminster/Brentwood area adjacent to the railroad with Canterbury connecting to Riverside. The rail road cut was built in 1928 according to records and the overpass on Woodburn Road adjacent to the Brentwood Hills Development.
Sometimes cited a Brentwood Heights, the area is now considered by most as a part of Converse Heights. Canterbury Road, Westminster Drive (originally Chevy Chase), and Brentwood Street make up the subdivision. The corner of Canterbury and Brentwood also retains the office building for the development of the neighborhood..
Documents from development office (in author's possession)