International Quilt Study Center & Museum
The museum was founded in 1997 when Ardis and Robert James donated their collection 1000 quilts and created an endowment that allowed UNL to assemble the largest quilt collection in the world.
Newspaper clipping describing the James' quilt donation to the university.
Backstory and Context
The museum's collection was first located in the Home Economics building on the campus. It was moved to the current building in 2008. The building was designed to represent a quilt, with the glass windows serving as the front of a quilt and the galleries the back, and the reception hall is shaped like the eye of a needle.
"History." International Quilt Study Center & Museum. Accessed February 27, 2018. http://www.quiltstudy.org/about/history.