Pavilion X is located on the east side of the terraced lawn at the point where it makes its steepest drop. This Pavilion has a much narrower gallery than the others and features Greek-style columnns that sit flat on the ground. The cornice is decorated in the Doric style. Beginning in 2009, work began on restoring Pavilion X to more closely resemble its original appearance. The biggest change was the construction of an attic parapet, the original having been removed as early as the mid-1800s for unknown reasons.
Backstory and Context
The first resident of Pavilion X was Robley Dunglison, Professor of Anatomy and Medicine. One anecdote describes Dunglison inquiring as to whether his Pavilion was a suitable location for classroom dissections, prompting Jefferson to design an Anatomical Theatre. The theatre stood west of the West Range until the 1930s. Another former occupant of Pavilion X was beloved Professor of Law, John A. G. Davis, whose tragic murder outside his front door is often cited as the inspiration of the Honor System.
Spencer, Hawes. "Pavilion X shows its (new) colors." The Hook (Charlottesville), n.d. Accessed April 4, 2017. http://www.readthehook.com/68124/pavilion-x-shows-its-new-colors?quicktabs_1=1.
"The Lawn." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Accessed March 23, 2017. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lawn.
"U.Va. Web Map: Pavilion X." The University of Virginia. Accessed April 4, 2017. http://www.Virginia.edu/webmap/popPages/pavilion10.html.
Pavilion X After Renovation; image by local louisville; cropped by User:Ibn Battuta - Flickr: Dana Buntrock, Pavilion X@ U Va., CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12882060.
Pavilion X in 1911; image by Holsinger, Rufus W., 1866-1930, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5290038.