Highland Park Tower
Though no longer used for its original purpose, the Highland Park Tower remains an important architectural landmark for the immediate residential area. It was built in 1928 and designed by one of the city's few known black architects, Clarence W. Wigington (1883-1967). It is 134 feet tall and the top features and observation deck that can be reached by a 151-step staircase. The tower doesn't appear to reflect a single architectural style but incorporates stone ornamentation and the top features arched windows. The tower could hold 200,000 gallons of water, which was pumped from Lake Phalen. Given its architecture and once important function, the tower was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. It is open to the public twice a year on special occasions and people are allowed to climb to the bop.
Backstory and Context
Patricia Murphy. "Highland Park Tower." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. July 17, 1986. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/5c9a19f1-157f-40c6-b021-d4743a2050b1.
Photo: Elkman, via Wikimedia Commons.