During the Antebellum period, the Bellona Arsenal provided cannon and supplies to the Federal government. From 1817 to the mid-1830s, the Arsenal stored the cannon produced by the foundry. However, it was relegated to a surplus facility by 1837 and parts of it were leased out as silkworm farms. Following Major Clarke's death in 1844, the complex passed to his grandson, Dr. J.L. Archer, though he would not actually own it until 1856. During the Civil War, Dr. Archer would lease the arsenal to the Confederacy.
The Bellona Arsenal would be sold in 1877, though by that time only three buildings of the original complex remained. It would pass through several hands before it was bought by Mr. M.C. Luck in 1942. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.