The Magazine, Point Pleasant
Backstory and Context
Although the original magazine of Point Pleasant, WV is no longer standing, one must look no further than other similar structures throughout West Virginia and Virginia in order to understand the importance of it during early American history. The Magazine would have been used to store items that needed to remain dry such as gunpowder, grain, and flour. Locations like The Magazine would have been points of confrontation between colonial Americans and their English leaders due to the value of the items stored within them.
A structure in Williamsburg, Virginia was built in 1715 as a result of various individual’s powder kegs igniting from small sparks produced at random in their environment. After nearly sixty years of these incidents, Lt. Governor Spotswood mandated the construction of the Magazine. The structure reduced the rate at which children hurt/killed themselves/others with firearms as a result of their limited access to dangerous weapons. All-in-all the Magazine became an important staple to small settlements even after the Revolutionary War, often being repurposed as churches, community storage space, and even horse stables.
The Point Pleasant Magazine remains as a large monument dedicated to the resting place of Colonel Charles Lewis alongside twenty-seven named men as well as unknown soldiers buried around the area. Col. Charles Lewis is known for leading a militia of one hundred and fifty men into The Battle of Point Pleasant against Chief Cornstalk and his forces. Lewis was injured and died on October 10, 1774. Lewis’ brother, Andrew Lewis, would later become a general in the Continental Army.
"Colonial Williamsburg Magazine." Colonial Williamsburg Magazine. Accessed March 30, 2017. https://colonialghosts.com/colonial-williamsburg-magazine/.
"COL Charles Lewis (1736 - 1774) - Find A Grave Memorial." COL Charles Lewis . August 06, 2004. Accessed March 30, 2017. https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=9277293.