The Lewis and Clark State Park is named after Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, who were explorers of the American West. Missouri officials purchased the land in 1934 and named it in honor of Lewis and Clark. The Civilian Conservation Corps designed the park in the 1930s and assisted in building a picnic shelter on park grounds. Due to Lewis and Clark's exploratory contributions to America and their founding of the park's lake in their journey, the lake's name was changed from the Sugar Lake to the Lewis and Clark Lake. The Lewis and Clark State Park is one of the last parks alongside of Highway 99 that still maintains trees of ancient origins, such as red cedar trees.