Constructed in 1924, Ebenezer Presbyterian Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The congregation dates back to 1878 when local African American minister B. B. Palmer decided to organize separate meetings for African American members of the predominantly white First Presbyterian Church of New Bern.
The congregation was home to many black leaders, including two-term US Congressman George Henry White. White was elected to Congress into North Carolina’s Second Congressional District in 1896 and 1898. White became the last black member in Congress between the end of Reconstruction and1929. White introduced legislation that would have made lynching a federal crime which would have reduced the violence against African Americans had it passed.